Chapel of Sćo Joćo da Corujeira
The Chapel of S. Joćo da Corujeira, adjoining the British Cemetery, is the oldest chapel in Elvas, Portugal. It was built in 1228 by the Knights Hospitallers on the taking of Elvas from the Moors. In 2005, after negotiations between the Friends of the British Cemetery and the Archdiocese of Évora, the Friends acquired the right of usage and the responsibility for the chapel’s restoration and maintenance. Restoration was completed in 2010 and the chapel again provides a place for private prayer and remembrance. A small museum has been created in the lateral passage for artefacts and memorabilia relative to the Regiments and events commemorated in the British Cemetery.

 
Before
After
2006
24 June 2010
Chapel of Sćo Joćo da Corujeira
Please contact Celia Denney if you wish to visit the chapel and museum.
Dedication of the renovated Chapel of St. John the Baptist, 2010
Main altar 24 June 2010 Elvas, Portugal
The Chapel of S. Joćo da Corujeira, Elvas Portugal
The Chapel of S. Joćo da Corujeira, Elvas Portugal
Friends of the British Cemetery Museum, Elvas Portugal
FBC Museum with artefacts relating to the Battle of Albuera and the Sieges of Badajoz 1811-1812
Chapel of Sćo Joćo da Corujeira holds a collection of Regimental hassocks relating to those Regiments that fought in the Peninsular War in the Badajoz area