The 30th Foot - The 40th Foot
The Queen’s Lancashire Regiment traces its history back to six Regiments of Foot,
the 30th, 40th, 47th, 59th, 81st and 82nd.
The 30th Foot, the earliest predecessor regiment, was first raised in 1689 as Castleton's Regiment to fight for William of Orange against the French. Disbanded in 1697 at the end of the war, the Regiment was reformed in 1702 as Saunders' Marines. The 30th served as marines until 1713, participating in the capture and defence of Gibraltar in1704, for which it gained its first battle honour. The Regiment was again disbanded in 1713, but restored in 1715 as a Regiment of Foot.
The 40th Foot was formed in 1717 by the amalgamation of eight Independent Companies of Foot stationed in Nova Scotia and was then known as Phillips' Regiment of Foot, from the name of its first Colonel, then Governor of Nova Scotia.
The 47th Foot originated in Scotland in 1741 as Mordaunt's Regiment. In 1750 it sailed for Canada, joining the 40th in successful operations there against the French. There the 47th won their first battle honour and the nickname "Wolfe's Own". The 59th Foot was raised in 1755 when renewed war with France threatened.
In 1782 the regiments were given county titles:
30th (The Cambridgeshire Regiment)
40th ( 2nd Somersetshire Regiment)
47th (The Lancashire Regiment)
59th (2nd Nottinghamshire Regiment)
Peace with France came in 1802 but lasted barely a year. Under the threat of invasion by Napoleon, the British Army expanded rapidly and the predecessor regiments raised 2nd battalions. All six regiments took part in the war against France and her Allies.
The 1/40th and the 1/82nd landed in Portugal in 1808 under Sir Arthur Wellesley, later Duke of Wellington, and helped gain early victories at Rolica and Vimiera. That same year the 2/59th, 2/81st and 1/82nd took part in Sir John Moore's advance into Spain and his subsequent stand at Corunna, where the 59th and 81st gained particular distinction.
The 40th, one of only three regiments to serve throughout the Peninsular War, remained in Iberia. Capt Arthur Rowley Heyland served with the 40th at the Battle of Busaco and in the withdrawal to the Lines of Torres Vedras.
The 47th and 82nd played an important role in the Battle of Barrosa and in the defence of Tarifa. The 40th took part in the siege of Ciudad Rodrigo in 1812.
Both the 30th and 40th fought bravely and sustained severe casualties in the1812 Siege of Badajoz. The two regiments then helped secure Wellington's victory at Salamanca.
In the spring of 1813, Wellington advanced to drive the French out of Spain and with him marched the 1/40th, 2/59th and 1/82nd. All four regiments were heavily engaged in the decisive Battle of Vittoria. The 40th and 82nd fought in a number of defensive actions for which they were awarded the battle honour Pyreness. The 47th and 59th distinguished themselves in the assault on San Sebastian, the bloodiest battle in the history of either regiment. Wellington then advanced into France, where the 40th and 82nd fought at the Battle of Nivelle and the 47th and 59th at the Battle of Nive before winter brought the campaign of 1813 to a close.
In 1814 the 40th and 82nd fought at Orthes and the 40th were in action at Toulouse, the last battle of the Peninsular War. The 47th and 59th were besieging Bayonne when news came of Napoleon's abdication.
For their services in this campaign the regiments were awarded the additional battle honour of Peninsula. For their steadfastness at the Battle of Waterloo, the 30th and 40th were permitted to encircle their badge with a laurel wreath. The battle is commemorated annually by the regiment.
In 1881 the old Regiments of Foot were linked and redesignated as follows:
30th -1st Bn The East Lancashire Regiment
59th -2nd Bn The East Lancashire Regiment
40th -1st Bn The South Lancashire Regiment
82nd -2nd Bn The South Lancashire Regiment
47th -1st Bn The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment
81st -2nd Bn The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment
In 1958 the East Lancashire Regiment and South Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Volunteers) were amalgamated. The Queen's Lancashire Regiment was inaugurated at Connaught Barracks, Dover in 1970. It’s motto is "Loyally I Serve"
1n 2006 the Queen's Lancashire Regiment merged with the Kings Regiment and the Kings Own Royal Border Regiment to form the Duke of Lancaster's Regiment.
For more information: